These Chocolate Chip Muffins are moist, fluffy and have a tender crumb and will make a great breakfast treat.
Why do I love these muffins?
These little individual cakes are packed with chocolate and will satisfy any sweet tooth out there. These muffins have a moist and tender crumb that melts in the mouth. I like to have these muffins in the breakfast with a cup of strong coffee. Nothing can beat this combination.
Hey – to be honest, how can you ever possibly go with a combination of chocolate chips packed in muffins? You just can’t !
If you are a muffin lover like me, you have plenty of other options as well. Try my blueberry muffins or orange muffins for a tangy fruity flavor.
Muffins = Quick Breads
According to history references, muffins originated back in the 19th century in North America. They can be sweet and/or savory as well. Sweet muffins are more common and consumed in breakfasts across the U.S. These quick breads take less time to bake and the individual-sized bakes, as it suggests, are great for individuals. By adding some fruits and berries the taste and texture will enhance the traditional muffins. Different variations contain berries, fruits and chocolate chips.
All you need is to gather few simple ingredients, readily available in the pantry and work on the batter to have quick and easy chocolate chip muffins.
Eggs Full fat milk
Chocolate Chip Morsels
Note: It is important for this recipe to use the ingredients at room temperature. The ingredients will infuse better this way with each other during mixing, thus eventually helping with an even bake in the oven.
Tips to bake perfect muffins
- Understand that the consistency of the batter will be thick.
- DO NOT overmix the batter. Know that the batter will be thick and you may be tempted to overmix but over-mixing will develop gluten which will turn the muffins texture harder and tougher, which you do not want.
- Ice-cream Scoop is my all-time favorite to fill in the muffin pan. It gives me equal amount of muffin batter in each liner, making it easier to remain consistent with the size of the muffins.
-Use the old toothpick or cake tester trick to see if the muffins are baked properly. You want to ensure a clean toothpick coming out of the center of the muffins before removing the pan form the oven.
How to Store
On the Counter: These muffins will stay fresh for up to 3 day on the counter.
In the Refrigerator: The muffins will keep fresh for a week in the refrigerator.
In the Freezer: The muffins will stay fresh for 3 months in the freezer. Wrap each muffin in a plastic wrap and additionally add a layer of foil, and save the muffins in a Zip-loc bag. Place them in the freezer. Move the muffins to refrigerator and keep them overnight before serving these muffins.
Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 12-muffin baking pan
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour (220 grams)
- 1 cup castor sugar (200 grams)
- ½ cup butter (115 grams) room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (10 grams)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (5 grams)
- ½ cup yogurt or sour cream (125 grams)
- ½ cup milk (100 ml)
- 2 eggs (large)
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract (8.7 grams)
- 1 ½ cup chocolate morsels (235 grams) plus ⅓ cup to sprinkle on muffins
- Set the oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 375 F. Arrange a12-muffin pan with liners or spray the pan with baking spray (with flour in it)and set aside.
- Take a medium sized bowl and sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together and put aside.
- Ina large bowl, beat the butter until it is creamy. Put sugar in butter and beat until the butter is light and creamy. Add eggs, one by one, and mix until the eggs are incorporated well. Stir in vanilla and sour cream as well.
- Incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined well.You do not want to overmix the mixture, or it will have a tough texture. Fold in the chocolate chips in the batter.
- Using an ice-cream scoop pour the batter in the muffins pan until it is filled by three-quarters, leaving a little space for it to raise evenly. This batter will make about 14 – 16 muffins easily.
- Bake the muffins for about 16 – 19 minutes, until the wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean and the sides are golden brown. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them on a wire rack to cool completely.