This homemade fluffy chicken braided bread is easy to put together and everyone will love it. Enjoy it with a meal or with a cup of tea.
Table of Contents
Why Chicken Bread works every time?
This recipe is a staple food back in my homeland, Pakistan. Everyone loves the shape and taste of this bread and the chicken filling in the bread enhances the flavor of the bread. Here in the United States, this bread is made with some variations as in Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Garlic Bread.
The braided bread looks complicated and complexed to make. However, on the contrary, this bread is quite easy to put together as it does not require any special culinary skill and anyone with limited skill set will be able to bake it easily. If you are a bread lover, you can try it easily and get great results. It is simple just like my Pita Bread recipe.
There are two parts for this recipe. First, we make the dough for the bread and second, we make the chicken filling.
For the dough you will need:
For Chicken Filling you will need:
Heavy whipping cream
Chicken filling (recipe given in the recipe card) is traditionally used in the bread but you may use other fillings as well.
Chicken Tikka: Chicken tikka is commonly enjoyed not only in Pakistan, but in other parts of the world such as European countries and the United States. Feel free to use shredded chicken tikka for the filling.
Minced Beef: Minced beef is another variation for this bread. Replace the shredded chicken with minced beef in the chicken filling recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
You need to make sure that the instant yeast is active. For this, proof the yeast separately to ensure it will rise the bread.
Absolutely, you can make this filling and keep it refrigerated for up to 3 days in advance. I do it all the time. You can also freeze the filling in an air-tight container for up to a month.
Storing the bread
On the counter: This bread will keep good for a day on the counter. Although, it will be gone before you can keep it on the counter.
In the fridge: It will keep good for up to 3 days in the fridge.
In the Freezer: The bread will stay fresh for up to a month in the freezer. Wrap the bread in plastic wrap and then add a layer of foil before placing in the freezer.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (480 grams)
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast (9.3 grams)
- 2 tablespoon powdered milk (16 grams)
- 1 teaspoon salt (6 grams)
- 4 tablespoon olive oil (57 grams)
- 2 eggs (large)
- 1 teaspoon castor sugar (4 grams)
- 1 cup lukewarm water (237 ml) 110 - 115 F
- 2 cups boiled shredded chicken (280 grams)
- 2 small onions (250 grams) omelette cut
- ¼ teaspoon carom seeds
- ¼ teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt (5.69 grams)
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper (2.3 grams)
- 4 tablespoon fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour (28 grams)
- 2 tablespoon butter (30 grams)
- ½ cup mushrooms (45 grams)
- ½ cup red capsicum (75 grams)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream (115 grams)
- ½ cup milk (100 grams)
- Take a bowl and mix together flour, salt, castor sugar, milk powder, yeast, oil and egg.
- Knead to a medium soft dough with slightly warm water.
- Drizzle the bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil and coat the dough in the oil from all sides. Cover it with a fresh cloth or plastic wrap.
- Keep the bread in a warm place and let it rise until it becomes double in size.
- Heat butter in a large frying pan. Add the carom and nigella seeds and sauté for a few seconds. Add the chopped omelet cut onion and sauté for 3 -4 minutes until it is slightly golden.
- Add the flour and stir for a minute. Add the heavy whipping cream and milk while stirring continuously.
- Add salt, red chilli powder and coriander leaves to the pan and stir for a minute.
- Add the shredded chicken, mushroom and capsicum and stir continuously until the milk evaporates and the consistency becomes thicker.
Putting the Bread Together:
- Pre heat the oven at 375 F.
- Divide the dough in three equal parts. Each bread will be about 450 grams.
- Roll each ball into a rectangular shape and cut the sides of the rectangle in a diagonal from top to bottom.
- Fill in the center part with chicken filling.
- Fold over the diagonal slits in a crisscross manner, putting one slit on the other slit and completing the bread till end.Press the bread together in the end. The bread will look like a fish in shape.
- Finish the bread with egg wash and sprinkle the sesame seeds and nigella seeds on the top. Place on the baking tray and place it in the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake the bread for 15 – 20 minutes until it is light brown and crisp.