Try this Brown Sugar Pecan Coffee Cake for the bursting flavor of pecans and brown sugar. It can’t get any simpler and yummier than that.
Coffee cakes are the best cakes that make any afternoon tea special. With some simple yet powerful flavors you can create a cake that is not fancy yet it can accompany any event very well. You can have it for breakfast or a treat with a cup of coffee or have it with a cup of cold milk.
The two ingredients that make this cake special are brown sugar and pecans. Brown sugar crust give the crumbly texture to the cake while the pecans on the top give it a crunch in every bite. It is a fudgy and crunchy treat at the same time.
Table of Contents
Use of sour cream
You will see we are not using butter to give structure to the cake. Rather, I am utilizing sour cream to give flavor and structure to this bake. You are not going to feel the sour cream but the acidity will make the cake dense and will help with the soft and tender crumb.
Two Layers – One Fudgy, One Crunchy
This cake has two distinctive layers that make this cake so different and crumbly. The cake is built on the crumb layer by mixing the flour, sugar and cutting in the butter until it gets a crumbly in texture. Then you spread the layer in the pan. Then you place the pecans on top of the crumbly layer, further adding the cinnamon and pecan layer that adds the crunch and aroma to this moist cake. Just imagine the combination of brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans in one cake!
With a few simple ingredients you can create an aromatic coffee cake that will compliment any meal or time of the day.
How to Store
On the Counter: This cake will stay fresh for 2-3 days on the counter.
In the Fridge: You can place it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
In the Freezer: This cake will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months. Once the cake has cooled, wrap it in plastic wrap, further adding a layer of foil and stashing the pieces in the freezer. When you want to serve, thaw it overnight with plastic wraps on in the refrigerator.
Brown Sugar Pecan Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240 grams)
- 2 cups light brown sugar (400 grams) firmly packed
- ¾ cup butter (170 grams) room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream (240 grams)
- 1 egg (large)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (10 grams)
- 3 tablespoon castor sugar (15 grams)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (10 grams)
- 1 cup pecans (125 grams) chopped
- Preheat the oven at 350 F. Spray a baking spray on a 13 x 9-inch baking pan and add a parchment paper in the bottom of the pan.
- Take a large bowl and sift flour in it. Add sugar in it and whisk. Using a pastry blender cut the cubed butter into the mixture until the mixture is crumbly. Now take 2 ¾ cups of the crumb mixture on the greased pan.
- Take another bowl and add sour cream, egg and baking soda and mix together. Add the remaining flour mixture to it and mix until just well-incorporated.
- In a small bowl, stir together cinnamon powder and castor sugar.
- Pour the sour cream batter over the crumb crust and sprinkle the cinnamon mixture over it. Add a layer of pecans to it and place the pan in the middle rack of the oven.
- Bake it for 25 – 30 minutes. Check with a wooden skewer, inset it in the center of the cake and see if the wooden pick comes out clean.
- Cool the pan on a wire rack for about 30 minute before cutting the squares of the cake.