These muffins make the best treat for banana and chocolate chips lovers. A treat that you will make again and again.
Why this recipe works
For me this recipe works because of two simple reasons. One, it has two of my favorite ingredients – bananas and chocolate chips and two, it is super easy to put it together in minutes. The end result is to die for as you get fluffy and moist muffins, which you can eat in breakfast or enjoy throughout the day.
Do not Overmix the batter:
To ensure the soft and moist crumb of the muffins, you need to ensure to not overmix the batter. Just fold in the flour and chocolate chips until just incorporated and that’s it. If you will mix up for longer duration the flour will activate gluten resulting in chewy and tough texture.
Ingredients Required for this recipe
Light brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
Ripe bananas (mashed)
Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Nuts: You can add ½ cup of your favorite nuts in this recipe. I usually use pecans or walnuts.
Chocolate Chips: I use regular chocolate morsels for this recipe. You can replace it with mini chips, milk chocolate chips or white chocolate chips.
Do not worry if you do not have that on the counter dark-browned (almost black-ish) ripened bananas. Turn on your oven at 350 F. Put your bananas on a baking tray and bake in the middle rack for 10 minutes. Let them cool completely before using.
No brown sugar, no problem. You can replace the brown sugar with white sugar. Brown sugar gives it moisture and crumb.
How to Store
On the Counter: These muffins will stay fresh on the counter for 3-4 days.
In the Fridge: The muffins will stay good in the fridge for up to a week.
In the Freezer: These muffins can be stashed in the freezer for up to 3 months. Wrap them in plastic wrap and add a layer of foil to it before stashing it in the freezer.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 12-muffins baking tray
- 2 ½ cup all-purpose flour (300 grams)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar (150 grams) firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (15 grams)
- ½ teaspoon salt (5.69 grams)
- 1 cup bananas (about 3 medium sized) (300 grams) mashed
- ½ cup milk (100 grams)
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter (85 grams) melted
- 2 eggs (large)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (4.34 grams)
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (120 grams)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Spray the muffin tin with bakers spray or put 12 liners in the muffin tin and set aside.
- Take a bowl and sift flour, baking powder and salt. Now add the light brown sugar and whisk together.
- In another bowl, combine mashed bananas, milk, butter, eggs and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold until moistened. Fold in the chocolate morsels to it.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop out a generous amount to the muffins, filling the liners almost to the top.
- Bake for the first 7 minutes at 400 F and then reduce the temperature to 375 F. Baking at higher temperature in the beginning will help to create a dome shape for the muffins.
- Bake it for 18 - 22 minutes in the middle rack of the oven or until the wooden skewer inserted comes out clean. Take out the muffin pan and let the muffins cool for about 5 minutes in the pan before transferring them on the wire rack and cool completely before serving.